According to Ethnologue, there are around 7.8 million Belarusian speakers around the world.
Where is Belarusian Spoken?
Belarusian is one of the official languages of Belarus, alongside Russian. It is also spoken in other countries around the world such as Russia, other former republics of the Soviet Union, and the U.S., Canada, and Australia.
According to UNESCO classification, Belarusian may be on the verge of extinction and is considered an endangered language.
Did you Know?
Belarusian is considered one of the most melodic languages, second after Italian!
- Central on which Standard Belarusian is based.
4 Easy Phrases in Belarusian!
|Добрый день (Dobry dzien)||Hello|
|Прыемна пазнаёміцца (Da pa-bach-jennja)||Goodbye|
|Дзякуй (Dziakuj)||Thank you|
|Як справы? (Yuk spraavey)||How are you?|
Population vs. Internet Penetration
As of 2020. Source:
Belarusian is a Slavic language that is a close relative of Russian and Polish. Ukrainian is another close relative, sharing 84% of common vocabulary. In fact, Belarusians can easily understand Ukrainian!
Belarusian, Russian, Ukrainian & Polish Words!
|goodbye||da pabačennia||do svidaniya||do pobachennya||do widzenia|
|please||kali laska||pozhaluysta||bud’ laska||proszę|
Belarusian Translation Tips
- Belarusian has three genders: masculine, feminine and neuter.
- It has three cases of numbers: singular and plural and sometimes dual.
- Belarusian has no indefinite or definite articles.
- The neutral word order in Belarusian is Subject-Verb-Object, however other orders are possible.
- Verbs in Belarusian have two tenses: past and non-past. The present and future tenses have the same endings.