According to mustgo.com, Amharic is spoken by 22 million people around the world. Over 21 million of these speakers reside in Ethiopia. Apparently, there are 4 million second-language Amharic speakers around the world, too.
Where is Amharic Spoken?
Amharic is the national language of Ethiopia. However, there are several speakers in other countries around the world including Egypt, Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, Israel, Sweden, Canada and the United States.
Did you know that the Amharic language has 33 basic characters? Unlike Arabic, Hebrew or Syrian, it is written from left to right. It is written with a version of the Ge’ez script known as Fidel.
Did you Know?
Amharic is the second most spoken Semitic language in the whole world, after Arabic!
“Ethiopia is the only country in Africa with its own script.”
The Amharic language has multiple dialects and regional variations.
• Gondar • Gojiam • Wollo • Shewa
4 Easy Phrases in Azerbaijani!
|እንደምን አደራችሁ (indemin aderatschu)||Good Morning|
|…እባላለው (… ibalalew)||My name is…|
|በጣም አዝናለው (betam asnalew)||I’m sorry.|
|አመሰግናለው (ameseginalew)||Thank you|
Population vs. Internet Penetration
As of 2020. Source:
Did you know that the Amharic numbers are loans from the Greek alphabet?Did you know that the Amharic numbers are loans from the Greek alphabet?
Amharic Translation Tips
- Don’t forget! The verbs in Amharic use combinations of prefixes and suffixes to indicate the subject.
- Remember that there are three persons, two numbers, and two genders in the Amharic language.
- Through their morphology, verbs signify the person, number and gender of their subject.
- Each character of the Amharic language has 7 forms for each consonant-vowel combination.